Wednesday, May 27, 2009

1st Annual Stratford Heights "fun" Run 5K aka Trent's Cardiac Challenge

GUEST COMMENTARY BY TRENT:
So, this all started over a couple pitchers of beer at a local brewery (no not the Mormon, it wasn't that exciting of a party) when a couple guys started giving each other a hard time about who could run a 5K the fastest. The only woman participating in the discussion remained pretty quiet about it all, even up until the next day when we found ourselves at a muggy aired chalk-drawn starting line "warming up".


Here is our impromptu audience and the conspicuously quiet lady herself. Pam was probably visualizing what it would feel like to absolutely destroy some cocky boys on the course, while the girls were no doubt visualizing how great it would feel to see their dad tear through the makeshift finish line flags they made out of paper towels and food coloring.


And they're off! Trent gets out to an early lead, while Dave and John conserve for the road ahead. Notice that even though Trent is at top speed, Pam is right there, only breathing normally.

Our neighborhood is really one long hill that is about .5 miles long. So, here then is our own little version of the Boston Marathon's "Heartbreak" Hill or as Trent now calls it "The Heart Stopper" or "Where I lost the only lead of any race I ever ran".

Well, after a pretty quick almost 3 miles, here is our winner. I know that all the women in the neighborhood were so proud! They should all go on Oprah and talk about just how inspiring this all was.

And what about this guy? He was leading for a bit... What happened Big Guy? Back to the treadmill with you until Labor Day.
Dave finishes in a respectable time and third which is pretty good for a man of his - how shall I say, maturity? Just kidding. He has P90X to thank for all of his success.
Trent finished 4th which isn't quite as respectable, but good for a man of his, how shall I say, stature? Hey, at least it was better than last! Sorry John, had to rub it in until Labor Day when you will no doubt lay the hammer down on me. Olivia told me later that night that she wanted me to win and was disappointed in my finish, but I told her that I met my three goals: 1.) To finish, 2.) to finish without walking, and 3.) to finish without dying.

And so it ended, everyone stumbling around in a grog of delirium - some from drinking the sweet cup of victory, others just wandered around trying to remember why we did this in the first place. It kind of ended how it began I guess, only this time there wasn't any alcohol. (Well, that I know of. John is sneaky that way.) Pam was still quiet, but I saw more than one smile creep across her face and even she couldn't resist rubbing it in that her treadmill training paid off big time. There is a new sheriff in town... Until next Labor Day, that is.


































5 comments:

gina bina said...

I loved reading that! I congratulate anyone who can run AT ALL.

Ashley said...

Good job Trent. It is fun to see pictures of the girls. Only two more weeks and I get to see them in real life!!

Mats and Monica said...

Oh we are so glad you posted again! Erik and Emma especially thank you for including the photo with our house in it. We're glad you finished without dying too! But with you, Cathy, we had no doubt you'd finish strong!

We can't wait to see ya'll!

Pitcherpost said...

Way to go old man, nice. Keep the posts coming. If Cathy won't... I gues Trent will have to do.

Zach P

emily ballard said...

I guess I already did add you to my blog list. You just don't update very often, so I didn't realize it!

My address is mleballard.blogspot.com.

It was really fun to see you guys the other night, although I do wish we could have talked our husbands into skydiving. But sitting around listening to Trent was pretty good entertainment too. Steve has seriously never laughed so hard in his life!