We went to Wicked last night!!!!! I've been so excited for this. We bought the tickets about 2 months ago, and the anticipation this last week or so has been killing me. I've been wanting to see Wicked for quite awhile. When we went to New York last year, we were there for a week and everyday-seriously everyday, we played the lottery to try and get tickets to it-we never got the tickets to Wicked (there were about 500 people doing the same thing as us), so when I saw it was coming to Pittsburgh, I bought them that very night! And let me tell you-it was an amazing, great, great play.
There were a couple other factors in the anticipation of this night-we left all three kids for the first time together. We've actually never even left Sophia with a babysitter before. I was very nervous, but it seems to have all gone very well-it was a very long night for the sitter though-we were gone over 8 hours!!! What a way to leave the baby for the first time-I know.
We went with our friends Lisa and Jason, and this is dinner. We are of course at our favorite restaurant Nakamas.-nothing new-
There were a couple other factors in the anticipation of this night-we left all three kids for the first time together. We've actually never even left Sophia with a babysitter before. I was very nervous, but it seems to have all gone very well-it was a very long night for the sitter though-we were gone over 8 hours!!! What a way to leave the baby for the first time-I know.
We went with our friends Lisa and Jason, and this is dinner. We are of course at our favorite restaurant Nakamas.-nothing new-
Here are some pictures from inside the Benedum theater. It was the most beautiful theater I've ever seen a play in. Here are some interesting facts I just looked up about it-
1. Built at the turn of the century
2. There are over 90 crystal chandeliers, torchieres and sconces in the theater, all but one are original. The Central Brass Company located in Reading, PA refurbished them.
3. The signature piece of the Benedum Center is the original main chandelier which weighs 4,700 pounds, is 20 feet high and 12 feet wide. It was restored in honor of the late H.J. Heinz II. 4. In 1900, the Benedum cost $3 million to build. In 1987, the Benedum Center cost $43 million to restore.
5. On St. Patrick's Day in 1936, the theater flooded within two feet of the balcony. Several men were trapped for three days until police arrived in a motorboat and rescued them.
I love going to a place like this and then learning about all the history it's made and seen-I guess thats why I love museums-oh I would love to be able to go back to Europe and visit all the old castles and history sites again-I was only 17 when I last went and there is so much I've read and learned since then and I think I would appreciate it so much more.

These pictures we took are illegal btw-since no camera's are allowed inside the performances-Trent took the picures(not me)
9 comments:
Guest Commentary by Trent:
I truly don't want to rain on the Wicked parade, (mostly out of fear that rain would melt some witches), but I would be remiss if I didn't chime in with my disappointment. Somehow, the impetus of our going out last night became the evening's only downside!
Wicked seemed to plod along through the first act at an excruciatingly slow pace… The ending was so contrived and predictable that even casual theatergoers (I suspect the very individuals that the show will continue to reap millions from) will feel at least a little cheated. Well, assuming these observers are being honest with themselves that is, and not being completely overtaken by the show's spellbinding (pun intended) hype.
Quite frankly, the characters should have been so much more interesting, and the story too! I always thought that I didn't like The Wizard of Oz; but when I left last night, I kept thinking about how this one play may have ruined a true masterpiece with its own delusions, nay fierce ambitions, of grandeur.
Indeed, the fact that one stage performance can even transcend or transform such an iconic piece of Americana is nothing short of mesmerizing; but I feel it begs the question of whether or not this is even fair to any of us and at what expense is it contrived?
I won't go into too much detail for fear of ruining some of the (insert sarcastic tone here) "twists". I also generally don't want to come off as a stick in the mud. Besides, something tells me that the general public and so many of you alike will go on doting on this show no matter what negative feedback exists. (Certainly, based on the show's resounding fiduciary successes alone, it will not be completely unfair of you to dismiss much of my commentary as one crazy man's opinion.)
Please do not assume however, that I don't appreciate good theater or that I didn't find a lot to like about this show. I guess that in the end, that was the problem for me- the show was just likeable and nothing more.
Cathy was right- we had a good evening out, and it is so great to have big-budget Broadway shows travel to our city. But last night made me realize that the time we spent watching Spelling Bee in New York lamenting that we were not next door at Wicked wasn't such a waste after all! (Incidentally, that show was somehow more sophisticated than the childish Wicked.)
If you do see Wicked, don't make the mistakes that I did in assuming that its music will be either memorable or moving like Phantom of the Opera. Certainly you will be let down if you think the characters and pathos will be even 1/100th as strong as Les Miserables or even Miss Saigon.
I give this show 3 of 5 stars for its special effects (dare I say wizardry?) and its creativity. Its exploration behind the Oz scenes alone will pass much of the time well for most theatergoers.
When you see it, I implore you to not fall into the contrived hyperbole and see if you too in all honesty find yourself looking at your watch one to many times!
Because I now risk much personal attack (and possibly censorship) with this post, I will stop.
Does anyone know how to delete this horrible comment from Trent, because I frankly loved it-thats just what a good fun play is-
Cathy, I'm with you. I saw Wicked in Chicago a few years ago and still think of it often, with fondness, I might add. One of my all time favorite songs is "For Good". I loved the fact that you sent photos, with interesting info. to boot, about the theater you were able to see it in. Thanks for sharing!
Cathy and TRENT (good writing Trent, very good)
All I have to say is:
SHE IS WICKED!
(ahhh ahhhh)
GET HER!
(ahhh ahhh)
SHE IS WICKED
(bring me down.....down ahhh ahhh)
SO WE'VE GOT TO BRING HER
(AHHHH AHHHHHHHH!!!)
DOWN!!!!!
Lyrical genius Trent. Genius, right?
'nuff said.
P.S. I am bloggin' again. Peace out!
HOW FUN!!!! Sorry it was such a let down for you though trent but I'm glad you had fun cathy! PS how did you smuggle the pics? Your flash was off i guess?? Very beautiful!
Cathy- What a great experience for you guys. You totaly deserve a night out alone. I saw wicked in Chicago a couple years ago. I agree with you it is fantastic!!
Whether you liked the play or not, I am sure it was nice to get out. I still would like to see it sometime and I'll let Trent know how I feel about it then. Fun pictures.
How fun for you to get out and see Wicked, even though Trent had some issues.
I am still waiting for my chance to see Wicked. I am going to NY in a month with a group of girls from my neighborhood. We have tickets to it, as well as Lion King and Mary Poppins. It should be a fun filled 4 days in the city - no husbands and no kids. Yeah!!!!!
http://nymag.com/nymetro/arts/theater/reviews/n_9454/
Post a Comment