Saturday, January 26, 2008

I've Been Tagged

I've been Tagged!!!
A: The rules of the game are posted at the beginning. B: Each player answers the questions about themselves. C: At the end of the post, the player then tags 5 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged and asking them to read your blog.


10 years ago: I was 16-a sophomore in high school. I'm sure cruising down at movies 8 (all my friends from high school-don't pretend you weren't with me!)-maybe Emily was trying to call on some girls or something. Also I think my brother Andy was getting ready to come home from his mission. Our family dog, Belle was getting ready to pass away that coming spring.

5 things on my to-do list today: 1. Do laundry(please help there is so much!!!) 2. Go to a fabric store and try and find tight material to make a hair bow 3. Go to Costco, buy baby diapers 4. Look at my calendar, count exactly how many days I have left(like I don't already know-21) 5. Call my sister Sarah about 5 times

Snacks I enjoy: oh man, almost anything that doesn't give me heartburn! I (like Jessie) also want fruit all the time-especially melons-any kind

What I would do if I were suddenly made a billionaire: First I think I'd buy a nicer house than my sister Martha-just kidding Martha. Actually I think I would do what it took so both of my parents could retire today-even if they don't really want to. I would pay off all my siblings mortgages and my in-laws mortgages-and any other debt they had. Then I'd give the rest of the money to Rosie O'Donnell to spearhead her campaign for presidency!

3 of my bad habits: 1. I stress about my children's heath too much. 2. Right now my hormones dominant me. 3. Eating too many Mint Oreo's

5 places I have lived: Crosby, MN -Orem UT -Logan,-UT, Ogden, UT -Moon Twp, PA -Pittsburgh, PA


5 jobs that I have had: RD's Drive-In (the good days), Training Table, Kids R Us, Blockbuster Video (even better days), North Ogden Tanning salon, America First Credit Union

5 Things people don't know about me: 1. I worked at a Haunted Cafe, where the owners actually held an exorcism(Pantheon Cafe) 2. When I worked at that Tanning Salon-I never once tanned there. 3. I like to grow out my pinky nail and call it my coke nail. 4. I actually have a very real fear of the water when it turns from the light blue, to the dark almost black blue as it gets deeper(in oceans and lakes)-I'm almost positive the fear originated when I was very young, from my brother Andy's lies about how they released fresh water sharks into Lake Michigan. 5. I get completely obsessive about things and hate to have any unfinished projects laying around-my husband on the other hand.....

I am tagging...
1. Ashley
2. Sarah
3. Martha
4. Sarah L. and Andy
5. Emily M.-this means you need to get your blog going!!!

12 comments:

martha corinna said...

There may not be fresh water sharks in the deep waters of lake Michigan, but we do not know what may be down there. Perhaps something even more terrifying than sharks. At least that is what I think.

Nathan said...

There is literally the possibility, however slight that there could ba a shark--a Bull Shark lurking around the drop off at Old Mission. (The possibility is slight with odds that are astronomically small) But, bull sharks could and reportedly have migrated into Lake Michigan. It would be astounding if it occurred. Here is some info that I've accumulated to support my thesis:

The bull shark, Carcharhinus leucas, is common worldwide in warm, shallow waters along coasts and in rivers. The bull shark is well known for its unpredictable, often aggressive behavior. Many scientists agree that since bull sharks often dwell in shallow waters, they may be more dangerous to humans than any other species of sharks.[1]

Unlike most other marine sharks, bull sharks tolerate fresh water. They can travel far up rivers. As a result, they are probably responsible for the majority of shark attacks on humans that take place near the shore, including many attacks attributed to other species.[2]

The bull shark is found all over the world in many different areas and has been known to travel long distances. The bull shark is common in the coastal areas of warm oceans, in rivers and lakes, and occasionally streams if they are deep enough in both salt and fresh water. It is found to a depth of 150 m, but does not usually swim deeper than 30 m.[5] In the Atlantic it is found from Massachusetts, to Southern Brazil and from Morocco to Angola. In the Indian Ocean it is found from South Africa to Kenya, India, Vietnam to Australia. It is estimated that there are more than 500 bull sharks in the Brisbane River and greater numbers still in the canals of the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia. In the Pacific Ocean, it can be found from Baja California to Ecuador.

(Here is the particularly terrifying information)

The shark has been reported 2,220 miles (4000 km) up the Amazon River at Iquitos in Peru,[6] and has been recorded as far up the Mississippi River as Illinois. It is also found in the fresh water Lake Nicaragua and the Ganges and Brahmaputra rivers of West Bengal and Assam in eastern India and adjoining Bangladesh. It can live in almost any water including water with a high salt content as in St. Lucia Estuary in South Africa. After Hurricane Katrina hit in 2005, a large number of bull sharks were sighted in Lake Ponchartrain.[7] Although rare there, bull sharks have made their way through the Great Lakes as far as Lake Michigan. The Lake Michigan encounter occurred off the coast of Chicago, Illinois in 1955.

WHAT??????

I suspect they made it into Lake Michigan via the Mississippi and the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal which connects the Mississippi River with Lake Michigan via the Illinois River at LaSalle, Ill. and then to Lake Michigan via The Chicago River.

I doubt that Bull Sharks would be able to travel to The Great Lakes via the Hudson and the Erie Canal(known more specifically as The New York State Canal System) because, although the Bull Shark has been sighted and is responsible for numerous attacks in the New York, New Jersey and Long Island area (where the Hudson River's mouth is located), of the many locks on this waterway, but I suppose it is conceivable.

It is also highly unlikely that it could reach the Great Lakes via the Saint Lawrence Seaway and Welland Canal System, once again because of the extensive use of locks on these canals to account for the difference in elevations between the Lakes and the sea. It is also highly unlikely because this Canal system begins in the Gulf of Saint Lawrence which is entirely found withing Canada and the Bull Shark is not known to habitat farther north than Massachusetts. They like warm and shallow water.

Further, it is unlikely that a Bull Shark could be found as far north as the Grand Traverse Bay area because, once again, they would need to travel the 300 miles north from Chicago in water that is, relatively cold at most times of the year. It is also unlikely that a Bull Shark would be at Old Mission because the ability of elasmobranchs(the family of sharks to which Bull Sharks belong) to enter fresh water is limited because their blood is normally at least as salty (in terms of osmotic strength) as seawater, through the accumulation of urea and trimethylamine oxide.

Still, bull sharks living in fresh water reduce the concentration of these solutes by up to 50%. Even so, bull sharks living in fresh water need to produce twenty times more urine than those in salt water.[4]

Until the 1970s, researchers thought the sharks in Lake Nicaragua were a separate species because there was no way for the sharks to move in or out. It was discovered that they were jumping along the rapids just like salmon. Bull sharks tagged inside the lake were later caught in the open ocean.

With all this info, we should keep in mind that, with the exception of the 1955 encounter near Chicago, where a man's leg was bitten by a Bull Shark, there has never been any other documented sighting or encounters with a Bull Shark in the Great Lakes.

And, with all the monitoring of invasive species and efforts to keep invasive species from the Lakes, there is increased effort at the site of the Chicago River's mouth to keep species from entering Lake Michigan.

So, there it all is. A slight and only theoretical possibility. It is not shared to discourage anyone from enjoying their time up at Old Mission, but I think its better to be informed than to be ignorant.

cathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cathy said...

So maybe Andy wasn't just mean but actually very intelligent and did his research? I bet-Maybe we all have a fear of the deep water up there for a different reason......

Ashley said...

I worked at the Pantheon too... an exorcism??? I KNEW there was something not right about those people...

martha corinna said...

Nathan, always the KIA.

Fordney said...

Dido to Martha, and Nathan you are NUTS!!! But I love it!

martha corinna said...

Bell passed away in 1999, not 1998. We were living at Sister Littles when she died, and in 1998 I was still living in Provo.

Cottonia said...

Glad to get settled on Bell's death date but I am concerned that I've been swimming in shark urine for all these years!

sarahlouise said...

I am still urging Andy to respond to your tag.... Nice info Nate :) PS my color is blue from that last blog. Miss you guys!!

Heather Anna said...

Hey Cathy. Clearly Nate needs some friends in Ohio. He's got a lot of time on his hands.

The baby is due on Tuesday . . .

Lisa P. said...

Hi Guys-- Any baby news yet??