Monday, December 15, 2008

Guilt

Okay-so here it goes "I've got human guilt"-it's similar to white guilt, only it's not based on race but on species. Since my last post on squirrels (who are now my good friends) I have learned some very sad news. NPR aired a story on how a very large percentage of brown squirrels in the north east will not survive this winter due to lack of food-starvation. The acorn which sustains them through the long cold months, was in very, very low production this year. When I heard this I felt terrible. How many times had I shooed away the starving squirrels from the feeders? I even went so far as to send my ferocious dog out after them. (Don't worry he never even got close -I'm not even sure he knew what he was suppose to chase after. ) So now I'm giving the squirrels their reparations. I went and bought specific squirrel feed-with peanuts included.

Here they are after a snow fall digging through the snow to get their feed.

Aren't they cute? Look at the little corn kernel she's holding! I seriously watch them all day now-trying to make up for all the wrong I've done.

Look at the snow on her little whiskers

I think this women created the "human guilt" in me. From the beginning we were taught to love animals, so it should be no surprise the outcome of my squirrel saga.

My mom and Aunt Kitty came to visit us this past week. It was so fun. She never stays long enough though. We had a good time together. Trent especially had a good time........

Trent has always questioned my moms love for him and when asked to prove her love that is what she did. And Kitty wanted in on the action too. My mom got pretty wild here. True Story

Girls saying their goodbyes. Olivia drew her some pictures for her to study on the drive back to Michigan. (she really did need to study them to figure out what they were)

Goodbyes

Sophie expressing how we all felt when Grandma had to leave-please come back soon.

8 comments:

Mats and Monica said...

I'm glad to see you've made ammends with the "little-critters." Have you heard anything about our friends, the groundhogs, living under the deck down the road? I'm glad your mom came to visit! I've been checking all day for photos of TODAY'S event for Olivia though! Love ya!

gina bina said...

You are so funny! I'm glad you have made your peace with one of God's creatures.
Thanks for the Christmas Card! Brad was dying at how cute your girls are and how much they look like you and Trent. Merry Christmas!

I'm Jenny said...

Cathy - so funny. Glad you have made peace! Loved getting your Christmas Card. We miss you guys.

Kate said...

That sounds like what my mom did...She was gutting out our garage and found a nest of red squirrels and felt sooo bad about destroying their home that she named her new 'garage' shop, 'the red squirrel'. (She also had dad build some houses for them behind the shop.) I'm glad i stumbled upon your blog so I know my family isn't the only one who is 'animal crazy'. :)

sarahlouise said...

Ha. That's great Cathy. I guess you do have a soft spot for the little rodents after all. Sounds like something I might do....

Fordney said...

I like your pictures. Sophie is so cute. Molly and Sophie could be sisters. You need to come home and visit. Love you and miss you.

Brandon said...

By feeding a wild animal, you have done more harm to generations of its species than good...

I know, I know, I promised to make nicer comments. But I did go to Utah State, after all. And somewhere deep inside me, there is a conservationalist dying to come out.

Nathan said...

Cathy
you know those squirrels don't appreciate all your guilt...they just find the food where they can...but I understand perfectly. We were raised by the same mother--its the reason I sometimes feel more sorry for the shivering pigeon outside the Metro than for the drunk guy who falls down the escalator inside and needs to get stitches...that's bad, huh? 'Course Mom would take care of them, both the same...
So good to see the pictures of Mom and Aunt Kitty. Kitty looks good and so does Mom. I miss you guys so much. Sophie is beautiful, Cathy and so are you!
Merry Christmas!